Friday, January 13, 2006

#18

"We Looked Like Giants"
Death Cab For Cutie
Transatlanticism


Number of listens: ||||
Stars (out of 5): 5

The first time I heard this song it took me an hour drive home to even get through it. I kept going back to the beginning to hear it over and over and over. Ben Gibbard is a god to music and not even getting into the beauty of the words he writes, it's the WAY he sings them that so often gets me. "Gray subcompact" on it's own is nothing but coming from his mouth it means something so much more. You know he's been in love and you know he's hurt from it, too. His songs are an open invitation to his heart and memories and it's a delicate trip that I get lost in every time.

Music wise, my favorite part of the song is the swelling of sound and instruments that occurs about 2 minutes in. It is here when his singing gets just a tiny bit off with the beat of the music and I am so in love with it. "And I held you closer. than anyone would ever get"-holy crap.


God bless the daylight,
The sugary smell of springtime,
Remembering when you were mine,
In a still suburban town.
When every Thursday,
I'd brave those mountain passes,
And you'd skip your early classes,
And we'd learn how our bodies worked.

Goddamn the black night,
With all its foul temptations,

I've become what I always hated,
When I was with you there.
We looked like giants
In the back of my grey sub-compact,
Fumbling to make contact,
As the others slept inside.


And together there,
In the shroud of frost,
The mountain air began to pass
Through every pane of weathered glass,
And I held you closer
than anyone would ever get.

Do you remember the JAMC?
And reading aloud from magazines?
I don't know about you,
But I'd swear on my name,
They could smell it on me.
And I've never been too good with secrets,
(No...)

All together there,
In a shroud of frost,
The mountain air began to pass
Through every pane of weathered glass,
And I held you closer...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love this song! When I finally focused enough to pay attention to the words, I felt like they were written for me and what I'll call "the relationship". Sigh.

Friday, January 13, 2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

Can you imagine being his ex? And inspiring this stuff?

Friday, January 13, 2006 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home